Thursday, February 20, 2014

Week Four - Day Four: The cravings are easing!

It's nice that the cravings have calmed down. Usually when I babysit Jalen I have a terrible case of the munchies and want to eat an entire box of goldfish crackers! I mean, what's not to love about these yummy little guys?


But last night the cravings were not there. It feels wonderful! 

As Captain and I didn't get together yesterday, he wanted to meet for breakfast on my way home this morning. There is a great little place called Uptown Cafe, and it's just a hole in the wall with amazing gourmet food! He ordered steak and eggs; I had the breakfast burrito. Whoa! Carbs? you ask? Not really. Eggs, cheese, sausage and bacon wrapped in a tortilla. I ate the filling and left the tortilla. And I really only ate half of it; Captain took the rest of it home with him.


Today I tried making Paleo Cauliflower and Spinach Breakfast Bread. I even used fresh rosemary off my rosemary bush and chopped my own organic baby spinach. Nothing but the best for me! :D It tasted good, but mine didn't look anything like theirs. I followed the instructions, but they were very runny (because of the eggs) and didn't want to hold together. To help it bind I added about 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. A little bit better, but not much. On the last ones I added about 2 tablespoons of golden flaxseed flour. It was much better, but it changed the flavor, which I didn't really care for. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't my preference. Now, let's compare them, shall we?

THEIRS...
How beautiful they are... :)
MINE..
How pathetic they are... :(
I was hoping to use them in place of hamburger buns tomorrow, but I don't think that's going to happen, unless they REALLY firm up when they cool down. However, they do taste good! 

I did come up with a couple of options that might work the next time I make them. The first is to spread it on a cookie sheet and bake it; then after it's cooled down cut it in squares, like a loaf of cheap white sandwich bread. (Don't you just love cheap white sandwich bread? Me, too!) The second option is to scoop them into muffin cups, only about 3/4 inch deep, and make them English muffin size. Any other ideas? I'm open to suggestions! 

And now, after having said all that...


I am so embarrassed, because obviously I didn't follow the instructions after all! Apparently I was supposed to saute the veggies, mix them with the rest of the ingredients, spoon them into rounds on a cookie sheet, and bake them. Oh well, next time...

Jon's 34th birthday is tomorrow and Cheryl called last night to say we were celebrating, she was making burgers and a salad, and she was looking for an easy cake recipe. I asked her what she wanted me to make. She said she didn't care because I always make good stuff. So I will be making these bacon wrapped mini smoked sausages.  Yes, I know they have brown sugar on them, but I will try to be diligent and knock most of it off before noshing. 

Pioneer Woman is evil.  >:O
Now I'm torn as to whether I'm going to make Trisha Yearwood's Hot Corn Dip or her Charleston Cheese Dip. Decisions, decisions...

Anyhow, my day is over. Really the only thing I ate for dinner was the "paleo bread" that I boo-boo'd on, but it was good and satisfying. So this day has been a success for me.  Wish me luck tomorrow!

Loving y'all!








Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment