Saturday, March 1, 2014

Week Five - Day Six: It's Time for the Annual Crab Feed!

Today is the crab feed. I'm so excited! It's such a fun event and a very good cause, as well - the Firefighters Burn Institute.

The Firefighters Burn Institute started back in 1972. During the air show at Sacramento Executive Airport an airplane had an engine flame out on takeoff, dropped back onto the tarmac, skidded across Freeport Blvd. and directly into the Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour.




There were 22 people that died that day, including Firefighter Gene LaVine and eight of his family members. LaVine's Captain, Cliff Haskell, was so upset that there were no local burn or trauma centers to send people to when a tragedy like this happens. He formulated a plan, started fundraising, and in 1973 the Firefighters Burn Institute was born. Read their history here


This year will be the 42nd anniversary of this tragedy. There is a memorial where the crash happened, and this same building now houses the headquarters for Sacramento Fire Department.



I am honored to help this worthy cause.

And now on to my day...




I had about 1/4 cup chicken salad first thing this morning so I could take my meds. About 1 1/2 hours later I made 2 slices of bacon and one egg.  I am right on track and I love it. Feeling positive, too!


Remember those rolls I posted the recipe for yesterday? Well, I followed the recipe exactly and am ecstatic with the method and most ingredients, but there are a few things I would change. First it says to add 2 cloves of garlic, minced. That is way too much raw garlic. I would either roast it first before using 2 cloves, maybe saute it in the olive oil for the recipe, or I would just add 1/2 tsp of garlic powder. I didn't have any fresh thyme but I do have fresh rosemary so that's what I used. I also had to bake them 2 minutes and not 60-90 seconds because I do not have a very powerful microwave. But in spite of all of that, I think they came out wonderfully! And if you made six instead of four, then you could probably only nuke them 90 seconds. Now that I have the basic recipe down I will start playing with it.



One Minute Bread!
Doesn't my roll look just as good as theirs?
I took one with me tonight to the crab feed so I won't feel deprived when everyone else is chowing down on their succulent sour dough rolls. However, it didn't play out quite like I had anticipated... 

What did I eat? Well, a few pretzels and some popcorn (maybe 1/4 cup), but no roll. Bring on the main course! I have to say, the salad, antipasto and crab were so good and so abundant. We all ate like pigs. It was much better than it was last year.


And in spite of the popcorn and pretzels, I think my day was successful. I stayed on track (for the most part), ate fabulous food, spent time with wonderful friends, and helped support a great program.

I will sleep content tonight. 

Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment