Monday, March 3, 2014

Week Six - Day One: Did I miss something here?


I know, I didn't blog yesterday, and I'm really sorry. This "whatever it is I have" keeps coming and going. Yesterday I woke up with a screaming headache and upset stomach. No, it wasn't from the crab feed because it had been 4 fours between eating and going to bed, and I felt fine then. So my day was spent on the couch not eating much of anything because I couldn't keep it down. Finally about 5:30 in the evening I was able to keep down a bowl of rice, some apple sauce, and then about 2 hours later I ate a few crackers with peanut butter so I could have SOME protein.

Today, other than runny sinuses and plugged up ears, I'm doing well.
Breakfast was two slices of bacon and I was going to make it into a sandwich on one of my rolls. The sandwich didn't happen, sorry to say. The bacon was yummy, but those rolls were so garlicy that I had to throw them away! When I ran them down the garbage disposal it made the whole house smell like garlic!


Yeah, that didn't sit real well with me...
After I ran my errands this afternoon I made myself a quick lunch. It was a perfectly ripe, small avocado and Monterey Jack cheese. Yummy! And satisfying, too.


Is that not a beautiful avocado?
(I guess it's a green kind of day!)

As I write, the dishwasher is running so I can get back into my kitchen and cook. I am making a different version of my Eggs Mexicana. (Why do I always want to call it Mexican Egg Bake? No wonder I can't find it when I go to look for it! Hahaha!) This version will not have the green chilis in it. (There's that green thing again!) I am making it with sausage, bacon and onion this time. Another swap-out I am making is using almond flour instead of the regular flour. It's only 4 tablespoons (or 1/4 cup), but every little carb saved is important. Almond flour has 3 net carbs per 1/4 cup; all purpose unbleached flour has 27 net carbs. That means that for every serving of this I only get .67 carbs, whereas when made per the recipe I get 3 carbs per serving. In and of itself it's not a lot in this particular recipe, but when you make something that has a large amount of flour, like cookies or bread, it's a huge amount per serving.

This is a great recipe because it can be eaten hot out of the oven (be careful so you don't burn your mouth!) or room temperature. It's also fabulous BLD - breakfast, lunch or dinner!

While at the store today I got the rest of the makings for the Lighter Lasagna Soup, which I posted a while back. I will be making it tomorrow, again doing just a few swap-outs to make it carb friendly.

And now...


I give you Eggs Mexicana!


4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into lardons
4 oz breakfast sausage
1 small onion, diced
½ tsp pepper
5 eggs -- beaten
2 tablespoons butter – melted
¼ cup almond flour
½ teaspoon baking powder       
8 ounces cream-style cottage cheese
2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
Fry bacon and sausage until lightly brown and crisp.  Transfer to a paper towel and set aside. Add onion and pepper to the same skillet; lightly sauté until translucent. Transfer to the same paper towel. Combine the next 4 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl; beat well. Stir in the cottage cheese, Monterey jack, sausage, bacon and onions; pour into a well-greased 9-inch pie plate or 8x8 casserole dish. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and bake about 20 minutes more, or until set. Cut into wedges or squares to serve. Yield: 6 servings. Note: I did not add any additional salt as there is more than enough in the ingredients.

And now the sun has set and I am sending you hugs and good night wishes. This has been a great day for me. I hope you enjoy my recipe. 

Lin


No comments:

Post a Comment