Monday, May 26, 2014

Week Nineteen - Day One: Memorial Day...


Today is the day we celebrate those who gave their lives in defense of this country. Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated. Memorial Day was borne out of the Civil War and a desire to honor our dead. It was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed. The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle. It is now celebrated in almost every state on the last Monday in May with Congressional passage of the National Holiday Act of 1971. Several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19th in Texas; April 26th in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10th in South Carolina; and June 3rd (Jefferson Davis’ birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee. No matter when you celebrate it, it is all about those who gave their all. To them I say, "Thank you."


This is the start of a new week. I began my day with my usual cup - or cups - of coffee. Breakfast was a hamburger patty with cheese melted all over the top of it. I just love it when the cheese melts down into the skillet and you get that yummy cheese skirt! Nothing better!


No, mine did not have the bun, and it wasn't quite as big as this, but it certainly was just as tasty. 

About 11 o'clock the phone rang and it was Dad. Fortunately his blood pressure was just fine, BUT... since it's Memorial Day, and since Long John Silver is giving a free dinner to veterans, he wanted to know if I wanted to go with them. 


I couldn't say that to him because he was so very excited about going. So I said, "Yes, I'd love to!"

We got to talking about different restaurants and he said, "Do they have a Red Robin here?" Why yes, we do! "No, I mean Applebee's!" Yes, we have that one, too! 


"Please let them choose a restaurant and not fast food! I don't want to waiver!" I prayed. 


Woo hoo! Prayers answered! 
I had their lunch special, which was 3 chicken strips, fries (which I did not eat) and a salad. $6.99. Extra ranch dressing, please! They did the 2 for $20. It's their favorite thing to eat. They had chicken strips and salad, too. The only difference was, their salad was bigger than mine. Mine was the better deal and $3 cheaper per meal! :)


After that I took them home and it was time to head to the grocery store as I was low on supplies. Low carb supplies. I got bacon, hot dogs, lettuce, radishes, avocado, rotisserie chicken (that was my dinner) and water. Yep, that was it. I didn't even make any recipes today. It was a very dull day.

I had a low key, successful day. In 3 days I will weigh in at the doctors and I will be sure to let you now how I did. If I keep going like I am, the results will be good.


The sun has set, the delta breezes are blowing, and it's time for me to post this story. Thanks for hanging with me and helping me be accountable for my day. 

I am wishing you a most beautiful evening.

Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment