Monday, May 5, 2014

Week Fifteen - Day Seven: Fat Fast, Day Four!

Sunday is here - the end of the weekend. But that's OK. When you're retired every day is a weekend!
After the morning cup of coffee, Captain decided he wanted to go to 2 Bits Cafe for breakfast. They have really good home cooking there. Great pancakes, biscuits and gravy, and great everything!


It's a cute, eclectic hole in the wall. Their coffee cups are just a mish-mash that they have purchased from thrift stores over the years. This morning my cup was kittens playing in baskets of yarn; Captain's was a Taurus zodiac cup. Entertaining, to say the least!

But what was breakfast, you ask? I will tell you...


Breakfast burritos with sausage. Captain had the same thing, only he ordered his with the home fries. Did I mention the home fries are unlimited? Oh, yes they are! I didn't have any; I ordered mine ala carte. The burritos are so good, and they even make their own salsa. Probably the best I've ever had at any restaurant.

But what about that flour tortilla it comes wrapped in? If you look at the picture you will see the empty tortilla half. That's because I picked out and ate the guts, leaving the wrapping behind. No carbs for me!


After Captain went home the rest of the day was relatively quiet. I had a combo lunch/dinner late in the afternoon. It consisted of marinated artichoke hearts, olives, Italian salami and ham.


Let's talk about the Fat Fast for a minute, shall we?

I was going to follow this plan closer than I did, but I'm not quite ready to eat that little food.

If you haven't read it, the premise is that you limit your calories to 1,000 a day, you eat 5 small meals, and 85% to 90% of the calories come from fat. This will put you into what is called Nutritional Ketosis. This is where your system is producing ketones, and that is what your body uses to burn fat (instead of carbs), doing it in such a way that it does not burn muscle.

There is 100 calories per tablespoon of fat, so that doesn't give you a lot of other stuff to eat. It also requires a bit more understanding of how much fat is in the food one is eating, and I've been so focused on the carbs that I'm just not quite ready to go down the fat calories road yet. But I will get there.


I will say that what I've been eating is completely within the food guidelines of the book; I just haven't counted calories. When I reach a plateau I will follow it closer. For now I am sticking to very low carb and am happy.


And now my day is done. Hope you had a lovely day, and I will see you tomorrow!

Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment