Monday, April 7, 2014

Week Twelve - Day One: I'm back!

Friday, March 28th, was supposed to be the start of the move-in for the parents. It did not happen. They tried to get the pet smell out of the carpet and they couldn't do it. Because of the weekend we didn't think there was anything we could do about it. But I was wrong!

My daughter-in-law got on the phone, made a few phone calls, and by Sunday they had a carpet company in there stripping out the old and laying new carpet and pad.

Because my son, Jon, works full time and then goes to school at night Monday thru Thursday, we knew the soonest we could move them in was Sunday. Sunday, you ask? Yes, my parents are Seventh-Day Adventists and they do not do physical labor on Sabbath, which is Friday at sundown until Saturday at sundown.

But we had other plans, because sometimes life just can't wait!

Jon got off work at 4:30 and we all (minus the parents) met at the house and started unloading. My job was to unload the kitchen and get it organized. In the meantime everyone else was busy moving furniture and boxes into all the other rooms. We ate pizza and worked until late into the night. The game plan for Saturday was to meet again at 10 o'clock because they would be at church and I could get out of the house without 20 questions being asked! We worked almost 12 hours, at which time everything was unpacked and just a few things left to put away. They were the chachkies that we didn't really know what to do with. Beds were made, pictures hung, kitchen organized, play room and office all set up. We were finished! Now, how would we handle the reveal?

We decided Cheryl would call me in the morning to discuss "what was happening with the unloading," we would get donuts because "the guys would be hungry," and I would get them to the house about 10 a.m. All morning dad was antsy to get to the unloading; worrying about returning the rental truck (Jon had returned it the day before), how was everything going to get done... On and on and on... I kept telling him to calm down and all would be okay! Finally Cheryl called me and said, "Ask grampy if he has a box cutter so we can get these boxes open!" No, he didn't. "Well, no one has had breakfast so please go pick up donuts before you come over!" Dad's reaction was, "Donuts? Really? We don't have time!" Then he wanted us to take two cars; he was going to drive he and mom over to the house while I picked up donuts in my car. Um... no, we will take one car and go together because we don't need more vehicles over there in the way.

Finally we made it to the house. When we pulled up dad asked, "Where is the truck???!!!" I said, "Oh, Jon probably took it to put gas in before returning it today." He was unhappy. Jon and Cheryl walked out of the house with Erin and Evan. Dad said, "Jon, where's the truck?" "Oh, Elliott took it to get gas in it." "But he's not on the contract to drive!" "It's ok, grampy, it's just around the corner. Come on in, we can get started with some of the boxes!"

What was their reaction when they walked in?

They were stunned and speechless. All they could say was, "Wow! I can't believe it! It looks like we've always lived here!" They were both almost in tears as they walked around the house looking in all the rooms. There were things that I had never seen; and there were things that I knew about and shared stories as we unpacked and put the away. The only thing was, they were not very happy that we had done most of this on Sabbath.  I had to remind them what the bible said.

Mark 2:23-27
"One Sabbath day as Jesus was walking through some grainfields, his disciples began breaking off heads of grain to eat. But the Pharisees said to Jesus, 'Look, why are they breaking the law by harvesting grain on the Sabbath?' Jesus said to them, 'Haven't you ever read in the Scriptures what David did when he and his companions were hungry? He went into the house of God (during the days when Abiathar was high priest) and broke the law by eating the sacred loaves of bread that only the priests are allowed to eat. He also gave some to his companions.' Then Jesus said to them, 'The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath.'"

Mom and dad got their needs met, in spite of their beliefs. It was necessary because their health is such that they never could have done it by themselves, nor were they capable of helping very much.

They now admit that it was a blessing in disguise and are truly grateful for everything that has been done for them.

It has been a very long, stressful two and a half weeks, but now I feel good that they are settled close to me and I can help when necessary. 

I am very blessed to still have my parents, as both are 89 years old this year. Helping them is the least I can do. 

And now, time to get back on track. Today was day one... Actually it is day 78. Even though I have not been eating like I should, I have not gained any weight back. I want to lose 15 lbs by the end of the month. Think good thoughts for me!

Until then, I am wishing you peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment