Thursday, August 7, 2014

Week Thirty-Two - They Say Confession is Good for the Soul!


Well, not really a confession, just details of how my Monday went!

Captain and I made a day trip to Calistoga, and can you believe it - it was NOT for winetasting! Nope, it was to meet my penpal, Jenny, from Indiana (or thereabouts!). We "met" on a website called Just a Pinch. We started our conversation by talking about bread baked in a dutch oven! After a couple of comments we switched to messaging and finally ended up exchanging our real emails!

I was so excited to find out that her daughter was getting married in Napa in August and she and husband Weldon would be coming out! That meant we could hopefully meet face to face!



I got to Captain's house about 9:00 a.m. and we headed out for a quick bite of breakfast, as neither one of us had eaten. So we ran thru Der Weinerschnitzel and got a breakfast croissant sandwich.

Object appears larger (much larger) than it really is!

Not gonna lie... It was good. Small, though, which was fine because we were heading to Napa Valley!



The drive through Napa was just beautiful and so many wineries. A lot of names we recognized, some we did not. Either way we had lots of places in mind we wanted to eventually go to, maybe even doing an overnight road trip at some point.
Finally it was time!!! We texted our location and timelines to each other and then... then we met at the Cafe Sarafornia in Calistoga.  (They have the best oat bran pancakes with orange butter - and I don't even like pancakes!)

"I will make this place the Calistoga of Sarafornia!"
~Sam Brannan, 1885
As they couldn't check into their room until 1:30, we took our time eating and talking... and talking... and talking... and then a wee bit of window shopping. We all had a great time getting to know each other!

I admit it!

Did I have those pancakes? Why yes, I did! And they were just as good as I remembered. MMMmmm... I did not stay on track, and I really didn't intend to. One should not feel deprived on special occasions. Otherwise you get resentful. So I enjoyed my day.

One croissant, one pancake, one wine & truffle tasting, and two brand new, wonderful friends.

Thank you, Jenny & Weldon, for coming into our lives! We feel so blessed to know you.

Lin n Captain

No comments:

Post a Comment