Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Irony of Boundaries

Yesterday someone thought I crossed their boundary by sharing something personal. At the time I did not know it was not to be shared. Emails, apologies and forgiveness ensued. But it felt so impersonal.

So I crossed their boundary again by showing up at their front door unannounced. I knew that if I called and said, "Can I stop by so we can talk?" they would have said "no."

Ironic, isn't it? I crossed a boundary to apologize for crossing a boundary.

However, some things just need to be said face to face. That person needs to see in my face that I truly regret the pain I have caused them; hear the tone of my voice when I make the apology; and see the love in my eyes that I have for them because I value them in my life.

We all put up boundaries for many reasons. They should not be permanent but moveable.  Life changes; boundaries change; and sometimes perhaps we need a nudge from our friends to get that boundary to move, even if it is just the slightest movement.

Feel free to nudge my boundaries if you feel it's necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment