Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Week Six - Day Three: Now back to the cooking I wanted to do yesterday!

Kim's version from Makin' it Mo Betta.

Remember when I said I wanted to make this yummy dish, only a low carb version? Well, I did it! This is my version of her recipe with just a few tweeks to make it low carb.

LOW CARB LASAGNA SOUP
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped 
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes (I used one with Italian seasonings)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I omitted it because I used the hot Italian sausage and pepper jack cheese)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (or about 20 grinds of fresh cracked black pepper)
4 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into large pieces (instead I used eggs like egg flower soup)
3 eggs
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (I used 1 tsp dried basil)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella pepper jack, shredded

1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick pot. Add the sausage and onion and cook until sausage is browned and onions are translucent (approx 8-10 mins), stirring frequently to break up sausage into crumbles. Add garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring to prevent burning.
2. Add broth, cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, giving the soup a chance to reduce and thicken.
5. Beat the eggs well in a measuring cup. Slowly pour beaten eggs into soup in a spiral motion to create strands of egg.
6. When all the egg has been drizzled in, remove from heat; gently stir in the pepper jack, basil, and Parmesan.

Now, serve yourself a big ol’ bowl and enjoy! Kim says, "Feel free to add more cheese or basil!"



I asked her if she had ever thought of using kale, and although she had not, we both agreed that it would be a fabulous addition! Thank you, Kim, for allowing me to change your recipe. Hope I did it justice!

And now, back to my day!

This morning Captain and I shared some of that quiche I made the other day and a hot cup of coffee. It is so good and filling! And there is nothing better than sharing good food with the one you love! I also had a glass of orange juice because I'm trying to get a bit more vitamin C in my day without taking more pills, which I am very tired of.


Speaking of pills, I went back to the pharmacy this afternoon to pick up my prescriptions. Guess what? My provider changed prescriptions and my copay went from $89 to $10. This makes me a happy girl. I can now get on with getting well!

All I can say is, better living thru chemistry!
Because I was tasting the soup as I made it, I didn't have any lunch. But when dinnertime rolled around, I was really hungry!

I served myself a big bowl of soup (see picture above!) and made a beautiful chef's salad with broccoli, carrots, pea pods, cheese and ham as toppings. Ranch dressing dun got put on top of all of it! And dang, it was goooood!!!!


As I write this I am debating snacks for the evening, which, if I have a snack, will be my cucumbers and/or radishes, both of which I love snacking on. I am choosing things which are low carb and good for you, but that is not the main reason. I really do enjoy them. Of course I also love hot buttered popcorn and chocolate, but I am saving those for another day!

~wink~wink~
Before I end this blog I need to share with you a new recipe I just got in an email today. If you haven't signed up yet for Closet Cooking, I would advise you to. He makes some pretty amazing recipes. Not only regular recipes, but sometimes he comes up with recipes that surprise even me! This one is for Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice. There is no rice in it. The "rice" comes from the cauliflower, which is shredded on a grater. OMG I have everything but the sesame oil needed to make it.

How amazing does this look???

Now my day has come to an end. I got to make a new recipe, got a price break on my prescription, got a full tummy, found another new recipe to try, stayed on my plan, and best of all, I got to share it all with you. Thanks for stopping by for a visit!



I will see you all tomorrow. Good night!








Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment