Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Week Seven - Day Two: Temptations!

Hello, Tuesday!

Yesterday I got another email from Closet Cooking, this one being Guinness Braised Onion and Aged Cheddar Cheese Quiche.


Isn't it beautiful and delicious looking?
Needless to say I had to remake it for low carb. Check out his recipe and feel free to make it. It's an amazing recipe. What I did, however, is blend his recipe with my Eggs Mexicana recipe. Following is their baby.


Beer Braised Onion, Cheese & Bacon Quiche

Ingredients
·         4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
·         1 pound onions, sliced
·         1/2 cup beer
·         1 tsp Dijon mustard
·         1 tsp spicy brown mustard
·         2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
·         5 eggs, lightly beaten
·         2 tablespoons butter – melted
·         ¼ cup almond flour
·         ½ teaspoon baking powder        
·         8 ounces cream-style cottage cheese
·         2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese (or whatever you wish!)
·         1/8 tsp cayenne,
·         ½ salt
·         ¼ tsp pepper to taste
·         ¼ tsp garlic powder
·         ¼ tsp onion powder

Directions
1.  Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
2.  Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy; set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving the grease in the pan.
3. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add ¼ cup beer and simmer until the liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes. Repeat this process with the other ¼ cup of beer.
5. Remove from heat and mix in the mustards and Worcestershire sauce and place in a large bowl.
6. To that bowl add the bacon and all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
7. Pour the mixture in a well-greased 9 inch pie plate or casserole.
8. Bake at 400F degrees for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350F degrees and bake about 20 minutes more, or until set. 
9.  Let it set about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Please enjoy!

How did I do? :)


I thought it was fabulous. Bacon and onion is a simple, tasty combination, but then add the subtle taste of beer and it is so good.  I will be making it again, for sure. 

Captain finally got here and we headed off to Happy Viking.  Tonight I decided to indulge a wee bit. He ordered their pizza bones appetizer, which is basically pizza crust baked in the shape of bones, doused in garlic butter and topped with mozzarella cheese. I ate one, he ate the other three. It was just as good as I remember it being. :) I ordered the buffalo chicken wrap with garlic fries. I ate half of the half and about 4 fries. He also gave me one of his onion rings. 

I was surprised at how full I was. Yes, I brought it home with me, but it will go home with Captain. He has food for another day.

Dessert before bed was 2 pieces of Sees Candy. That probably is my downfall. I can eat chocolate until I'm sick.



So I have indulged. It was good, but I can't say it was as satisfying as I thought it was going to be. Since I have revamped my lifestyle there are changes I have noticed: (1) I don't get the munchies like I used to, (2) I am full faster, (3) when I indulge I don't eat like it's my last day on earth, (4) I am satisfied with less.

What have I learned?



Yes, change is a process. It's slow, it can be painful, it can have a beauty to it, and it is an event that can change your life. 

I am embracing my change one step at a time. 

Love,
Lin 

No comments:

Post a Comment